The Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, Italy, was built around 1300. Enrico Scrovegni, a wealthy and prominent Paduan, commissioned Florentine artist Giotto di Bondone (ca. 1266-1337) to cover the Chapel with a fresco cycle. Giotto’s masterpiece decorates the entire Chapel in a series of frescos that tell the story of the life of Christ. The walls of the Chapel feature thirty-nine narrative scenes, beginning with The Expulsion of Joachim from the Temple, and ending with The Last Judgment. According to scholars, “the stories for the frescos were taken from the Gospels of the New Testament and from the nearly contemporary Meditations on the Life of Christ, complied by a Franciscan friar known as the Pseudo-Bonaventura.”
Artwork in the public domain.